Monday, June 3, 2013

Dangerous Dreaming

Some dreams are dangerous. The simple fact that a man cannot fly is known by many. But there are few out there who do believe it is possible. In fact we have it in our genetics to be more powerful than any other being in the world. I am a human geneticist. I study the research on the coding of human DNA. I believe that with the "flip of a switch" a man can have power beyond extraordinary capability. I began trials a month and a half ago. With monkeys, the process was long. the wait was excruciating, but in the end, about two days ago. He did it. The monkey jumped off a bannister in the room and hovered for ten seconds. It was the most successful break through I had, ever. I put Dennis, the monkey back in his cage. When I arrived here this morning, he died. I though for sure it worked. But it didn't.
   I am here now. In my office, with a syringe full of the serum and my arm prepped and ready. Maybe.. No. Yes. Yes. If I shoot it into myself it will be more successful. Besides I am far more capable than a monkey. I pick up the syringe and open the needle. I press it against by arm. Ow! Shit. That hurt. The blue liquid enters my blood stream. I can feel it cross between the different veins and arteries. My brain. I feel the change. I stand up. This has to work. It has... All of a sudden I am lifted off of the ground by an unknown force. I did it. I am flying. I soar to he other side of my lab. I am filled with joy.
     I zip around the office a few more times before I place myself in front of he window. I can do it. I jump. I begin falling. The wind is exhilarating. I reach the 5th floor and zoom off into the sky. I did it. I scream for joy. The cool air fills my lungs. I fly around the city before finally arriving back at my lab. But as I go to land I stumble. I fall to the street and land on my butt. I am still smiling none the less. I go to get up and l look to the left. A semi. I'm dead.
     I open my eyes and it seems as if I had slept for years. I look around the hospital room. There are the usual flowers and the balloons. The doctor walks in.
 "What's the verdict doc?"
             "I can't... Nurse! Get me a Nurse to B112 stat!" The doctor was screaming toward the hall. I didn't understand.
       "Doc."
  "Don't get up. Son you've been in a coma for twelve years. You were hit by a semi. And You lost your legs and your arms." I look down. I couldn't believe it. My arms and legs were stubs. I couldn't move anything but my head. "Son are you.. are you gonna be okay?"
     The doctor puts me in a wheelchair and rolls me to the window. It was boring. The world hadn't changed. Only darker. Now I'm here. In a wheelchair. The geneticist. The man that was going to find the way to fly. I guess that's why they say some dreams are dangerous.


No comments:

Post a Comment